Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sourdough Carrot Cake Sublime with Cream Cheese Frosting

There was a time I would never have imagined making a cake with sourdough starter and now, after making this Carrot Cake and the Sourdough Chocolate Cake, I don't think I will ever do it any other way. This cake is delicious! I encourage you to try it and to do it with my Wasatch Willys Sourdough Starter which is an Original Great Salt Lake product.

This is an easy cake to make. I suggest preparing your cake pans in advance and pre-heating your oven to 350°F.


The Cake - Part One
1-1/2 Cups Vegetable Oil
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Wasatch Willy Sourdough Starter Unfed from the Fridge
2 Large Farm Fresh Eggs
1 Cup Crushed Pineapple - Drained
2 Cups Grated Carrots
1/3 Cup Pecans - Chopped
1/3 Cup Shredded Coconut
1/3 Cup Craisins or Raisins
2 teaspoons Real Vanilla

The Cake - Part Two
2 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda

Cream Cheese Frosting
1, 8-ounce Package Cream Cheese - Room Temp
1 stick Butter (1/2 Cup)
1 teaspoon real Vanilla
3-5 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Scant Buttermilk if needed



Part One: In your mixer bowl, combine the oil and sugar and the un-fed Wasatch Willy starter you pulled from the fridge and mix until just blended. Mix in the farm fresh eggs, one at a time (beat well after adding each egg). Add in the pineapple, carrots, pecans, coconut, dried cranberries/raisins and vanilla and mix until blended.

Part Two: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda, Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl until just combined.

Spoon the batter into two greased and floured 9” round pans. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Toothpick method: poke the center of the cake and if it comes out clean it is done. 

Five minutes after removing from the oven, remove from the pans and allow the cake to completely cool on a rack before frosting.

Frosting: Combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar gradually until all is added and blended well. Add some buttermilk until the frosting is the desired consistency.




To frost the cake I leveled the top of one of the layers and placed it on the cake holder. Then I put a layer of frosting in the middle and placed on the top layer. I will admit I am not very good at frosting a cake so I asked my wife, Annette, if she would please finish frosting it for me. I owe her big time! I love my wife, she's the best and we've been happily married since 1979. She's as beautiful today as the day I married her.


How to Order One of My Sourdough Starters: For a description of all seven of my starters please go to my ORDER page by clicking HERE. There you can order all 7 starters for one low price or order one single starter which now includes a second FREE starter of your choice. My contact info is there as well if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment