Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Twenty Cent Bread Lame, Scorer

Before I made my own Lame, for scoring sourdough, I used a sharp knife and a box knife. Neither was nearly sharp enough. Browsing the web I saw Lames that used double-edged razor blades so I got to thinking on how I could make my own.

A pack of ten blades at Walmart costs less than $2. That’s less than twenty cents per blade! In order to hold the blade I picked up two small paint stirrers from Walmart and they are free. A little glue, some clamps and you have yourself a lame for less than twenty cents! 

I glued my blade sandwiched between two sticks with the blade coming out the bottom at an angle. The blade does not get exposed anywhere else.

A note on sticks. Walmarts sticks are made of poor quality wood which is warped. For better quality sticks go to Home Depot, Lowes or your trusty local hardware store.

My first Lame was made with the Walmart sticks and it is not pretty but it works. My next Lame will be made with sticks from Home Depot and the blade will be removable using a small brass bolt with a wing nut. The rest of the Lame will be glued. This way the one blade can be flipped four times giving you the most use out of a single blade. You may not ever need another blade.

The Walmart Lame
What you need:
  • A pack of Wilkinson razor blades 
  • Two paint stir sticks
  • Wood blue
  • Extra pieces of wood
  • Clamps (2 or 3)

Glue one side of one of the stir sticks. Lay a single blade at an angle so that one corner is visible.  Place the other stick on top and using the other wood strips, clamp it together. Wipe away excess glue with a damp rag.

Allow 24 hours to dry before releasing the clamps.

You now have a Twenty Cent Lame.

If you don't want the hassle of going to the store to purchase a pack of blades I will happily sell you one. $1.25 covers first class postage and PayPal fees.



And check out my Sourdough Starters.







How to Order My Starters

The best and fastest method is to click on a Pay Now button. 










- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 



My Sourdough Starters
In early 2013 I started selling a San Francisco Sourdough Starter, Valentina's, which I obtained while in the US Army stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco in 1978. Since then I have extended my starters to an old family starter from San Francisco which I have named after my Grandmother whom I affectionately called, Babo. I also created a non-sourdough starter (Tara) for use in normal bread recipes and it works fantastically. I have two Alaskan Starters as well, Alaska Sam's and Best Damn Alaskan Sourdough Starter, both of which are good and sour. 

A friend gave me an old Mormon Pioneer Sourdough Starter which came across the plains in the 1800's which I call, Parley's. 

My favorite starter is named after me, Wasatch Willy. It's made from locally obtained wild yeasts and is a real crowd pleaser. Everyone who has tried it really likes it.

All orders include:
  • Two packets of dried starter. The one you order and one other at my discretion. Usually Alaska Sams or the other Alaskan starter. Limit one free starter per customer and does not include the Super 7 bundles.
  • Activation Instructions with recipes
  • Jar Label



Shipping Rates
All Prices include shipping. The US Post Office recently raised rates and so I have had to modify my prices slightly. I ship First Class mail. Orders are shipped in a #10 envelope. 

Where Do I ship to:
I will ship to anywhere in the United States or Canada. 

Questions: Call us at 801-784-8090 Monday - Friday 10am to 4pm Mountain Time.




To Order:
So as to simplify the updating process of my blog entries I have created a single ORDER page you can go to by clicking here. As the blog slowly grows in size (a few posts each month) it becomes an arduous labor updating each and every one of them so hopefully this will make the pages easier to peruse and more enjoyable. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment