Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A DIY Easy to Make Baking Stone - Part Two

aka DIY Pizza Stone

UPDATE 4/5/2014
One of the pieces or Travertine has cracked! But I have others. I have thought about heating the stones in stages. Not sure if this will help or not. The cracking is caused by my boiling water which I pour into a cast iron pan which sits directly below the stones.

I have this big bump on the back of my head from a slip on the ice in my works dimly lit parking lot on Monday night and it kept me up all night. I ended up with about two hours of sleep so if I am rambling and making no sense, please forgive me.

In Part One we discussed the options of Baking Stones such as ceramic tile, actual baking stones, and Travertine. I showed a picture of the stones I purchased at my local Big Box Store. I spent about $17 for two 18x18 Tuscany Travertine square tiles and they were snug from front to back on the rack. I almost thought I would not be able to close the oven door but it was no problem.

Since I was restless (my head hurting like a son of a gun) I thought about the dimensions of the oven rack and at 3AM I got up and measured. I determined the ultimate size would be 11" x 14" for my oven and after only a few hours sleep, I went to my BBS (BIG BOX STORE) with the tiles from yesterday and bought two more. I then had a fine gentleman cut them down for my on their tile saw. The cuts were free, by the way.


Free Cuts at Lowes - Travertine as Baking Stone
I had intended to double up the stones but they just weigh too much. 24 pounds of tile is just too much for our ovens rack to handle. So now I have an extra set and a side effect of cutting the tiles I now have 3 pcs of 7x14 inch Travertine as well so I effectively have three sets of baking stones.

Tomorrow night we are having 15 Bean Soup with bacon and Turkey Sausage served in bread bowls. Tonight I made six. The first three were baked on sheets on the Travertine and the second set of three were baked directly on the stones.


Sourdough Soup Bowls baking at 425 F

Sourdough Soup Bowls Cooling
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


To simplify the updating process of my blog entries I have created a single ORDER page you can go to by clicking here. As the blog slowly grows in size (a few posts each month) it becomes an arduous labor updating each and every one of them so hopefully this will make the pages easier to peruse and more enjoyable. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment