Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A DIY Easy to Make Baking Stone - Part One

or: The Search for the Alternative to High Priced Baking Stones

I have searched and searched for a Baking Stone (Pizza Stone) for use when making my sourdough breads and the costs were just unreal in my opinion. Comments on Amazon were filled with story after story of how the Baking Stones either arrived broken or they broke in the oven on the first use. So I went looking for a solution.

Kiln Shelves
Kiln Shelves are half round stones and cost about $60 each, uncut. You then have to cut them to shape. Not a perfect solution. If you look locally at a Ceramics Supply store you can find these but there has to be a better way.

Ceramic Tiles
I have tried these in my oven previously and they have to be unglazed but they crack eventually.

Travertine Tiles
The other day I loaded up You Tube on my Galaxy Note 3 and there was a video by Noreen of Noreen's Kitchen espousing the virtues of Travertine. This really caught my attention and I did a little more research and watched another video from someone else and decided to go for it. 

Our local Lowes sells A&R Tuscan Travertine 18 inch square tiles that are just under half an inch thick and they sell for $7.76 each here in Northern Utah. Prices may vary elsewhere. I bought two. After taxes it was about $8.26 each. Stacked together they are about 7/8" thick and they are kind of too big for the depth of our even. I am going to go back and get another one and bring the two I bought with me to have them cut down a little so they fit the oven. The optimal size for my oven is 22 x 14 inches. I figure on making them 11 x 14 inches. 

Here is a photo of the uncut stones on the bottom rack of the oven.



In Part Two I discuss baking bread directly on the Travertine using my Wasatch Willy Artisan Sourdough Bread made with my Wasatch Willy Organic Sourdough All Natural Yeast (aka Sourdough Starter).

 - - - - 


So as to simplify the updating process of my blog entries I have created a single ORDER page you can go to by clicking here. As the blog slowly grows in size (a few posts each month) it becomes an arduous labor updating each and every one of them so hopefully this will make the pages easier to peruse and more enjoyable. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment